Playlist

http://pl.st/p/23696140811

Friday, March 26, 2010

Return of Friday Night Beer Fights!!!!!!


As the weather warms and I get more in the mood to drink outside on these semi-warm (OK- basically freezing) nights, I start to think of ales, IPA's, and other lighter beers to spend the evening with. Tonight, I planned on watching my beloved Duke Blue Devils advance to the Elite Eight in my garage. As the temperature is supposed to get down to 38, I'm going to instead enjoy the game from the comfort of my living room.

During that time, I am going to be settling the new Friday Night Beer Fights Main Event:

Beer #1
Brewer Name: Bear Republic
Web Site: www.bearrepublic.com
Beer Name: Ricardo's Red Rocket Ale
Beer Style: "A Bastardized Scottish style red..." (Their description; not mine)

Appearance: Dark Reddish brown depending on the light. Brown when not in direct light- red when you hold it up to the light. Clear but hard to see through unless you have a light behind it due to the dark color. Nice, consistent lacing on the glass as well.

Smell: Smells carameley like a scotch ale- yet has a hint of hops to it as well.

Taste: Halfway through the second glass, I'm happy with it although this seems to fall into more of a cold-weather ale then a light summer beer. You can definitely taste the Scotch background although it is almost a "scotch light" as it definitely doesn't compare with some of the stronger Scotch ales I've tried this winter. Alcohol content is 6.8% so not as high in alcohol either. Overall, pretty smooth and I will definitely buy this again. Kelly tried some and said "uh, uh, too like something..." I wonder why she hasn't started a blog of her own. OOOOOhhhhhh- I just got called an A-h**e. Not very nice treatment for the blogging royalty... I thought I was an A-lister by now. I'm going to call my agent.

Mouthfeel: Nice, medium feel to the beer; slightly watery but close enough to not disturb me.

Overall rating: I'm pretty happy with this and am almost disappointed that I have to end this bottle. I have that nice, warm feeling in my stomach that signals that the beer is doing it's job. Good stuff. 4.0 overall.

Beer #2

Brewer: Charleville Vineyard Winery and Microbrewery (St. Genevieve, MO) Hometown drinking- always a plus.
Web Site: www.charlevillevineyard.com
Beer Name: Tornado Alley Amber Ale
Beer Style: Amber Ale

Appearance: Medium Brown, Light Red; very clear.

Smell: Very fruity. I am not surprised that this comes from a vineyard. I can't put my finger on the actual fruit. Kelly says orange; I say more of a cranberry/ raspberry odor to it.

Taste: I'm saying pretty good. It has a very fruity during and aftertaste that probably will be either like it or not proposition for most drinkers. Kelly does not like it at all but I appreciate that they are trying to make a very light, summerish type of ale that can be enjoyed while you mow the yard, run a marathon, play some jarts, etc.

Mouthfeel: Not surprisingly, not much here. A fairly light beer with little to no lacing on the glass. As previously mentioned, a nice spring, summer beer to drink during a leisurely round of golf or playing on the beach (at Creve Couer park- wait- that's Busch Light, sorry.).

Overall: I'm going 4.0 on this as well. A very, nice, light beer with a fruity during and aftertaste. I can see myself sitting on the front porch with a 6 pack of this as I watch the kids kill each other (I mean play) in the court. No DFS calls please.

And, for the first time ever, we have a tie!!! The only thing to do is to purchase another beer by each brewer and double-down like Mikey in Swingers!!! This fight isn't over. We'll be back after another trip to Friar Tuck's!!!

To be continued...

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. What up yo! Just got hooked up with this Blog. Your doing a great job. Keep em coming.

    ReplyDelete