Playlist

http://pl.st/p/23696140811

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Friday Night Beer Fights Epidode Four (posted on Saturday)`


OK. I was too tired to stay up and drink all my beer last night but I did have one. And, I'm drinking the other right now. So, without further ado, here we go:

Brewery: Avery Brewing Company, Boulder, CO
Beer Name: Salvation Belgian Style Golden Ale
Style: Belgian Ale
Price: 4.99.

Appearance: Um, pretty much Gold colored, clearish ale. Nice foam, a very pleasant look overall.

Smell: Slight fruit (mostly peaches) with an even slighter smell of skunkiness.

Tatse: Typical Belgian taste- on overpowering fruit taste at the beginning followed by a skunky taste at the end. This beer was definitely toned down though as the extremes seen in previous rankings (see week 2) were not nearly as harsh as the true Belgian ranked then. It still had the same general bloodline although not as fruity and nowhere near as skunky at the end. A much pleasanter, mellower version of a Belgian ale. Probablyu good for someone to start on and it does not carry the heavy price tag of a Duvel or other premium Belgian.

Drinakbility: Overall, fairly high if you like Belgian beer. I have tasted enought to know that as a whole, I'm not a fan. That being said, if I were to pick one, this would be up there; especially adding in the lower price.

Overall rating: 4.0. As far a sBelgians go, this one is more accessible for the vast majority of us Yanks across the pond. When you want a good Belgian beer, go to Colorado...

AND BEER #2:

Brewer: Moylan's, Novata, CA
Beer Name: Kilt Lifter Scotch Ale
Beer Style: Scotch Ale
Price: 5.99

Appearance: Cloudy; burgandyish brown; not as dark as a lot of scotch ales.

Smell: This beer has very little smell to it. Sort of weird as scotch ales usually have a fairly strong odor. the little bit reminds me of grapes but I've been drinking for 3 hours now so I may be slightly tainted.

Taste: I rated two other scotch ales in FNBF1 and they were polar opposites. This falls somewhere in the middle. At a kilt (or hopefully skirt) lifting 8%, this beer is nothing to mess with. That being said, it has no overpowering rubbing alcohol taste like the Dirty Bastard did. But, it is definitely stronger then the Schlafly's. The end product is a very solid, strong, full, smooth beer with good flavor and aftertaste. If you want to drink a 6 pack, go with Schlafly's. If you want a glass or two before bed, this is a better choice. Especially during the winter when a little stronger brew is preferred.

Drinkability: High, as long as you are not drinking a lot. Not a social beer as it will have you kareokeing Lady GaGa (along with your version of the choreographed dance routines) after about the third one. If you look anything like me, that is probably not a good thing.

Overall rank: 4.5- a very strong yet drinkable beer that does wjhat it sets out to do- taste good but get you enough alcohol to lift your kilt.

BY THE WAY: I tried the Moylan's Tipperary Pale Ale as well and it was outstanding. I rated it at 4.75 but that may go up after the next time I drink it. I am going to link my beer ratings on my web page to this blog next. Bookmark it if you go to the liquor store. It's going to be a no frills; ratings only for easy viewing on your phone. If anyone wants my comments about beers that have not made the blog, I have them in a word document. Email me at bigwallastyle@yahoo.com

Word.

And the winner in this national imitating international beer battle is:

Scotland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! from Moylan's although I think everyone should try the Avery; especially if you haven't tried Belian ales before. It's a good starting place.

No comments:

Post a Comment