Playlist

http://pl.st/p/23696140811

Monday, March 22, 2010

New Beer Rating!!!

Friday night, the Goosefather and I took the wives out for a night on the town. We were supposed to head down to The Tap Room (home of Schlafly's) for oysters and stout. That was absolutely packed so we headed to Lafayette square and sampled the fare of three different spots. The first place we tried was The Lafayette Fire Company #1 bar and grill. There we had a new beer which goose and I decided to rate. Here are the details:

Brewer: Abita Brewing Company
Beer Name: Turbodog
Beer Style: Dark Ale
Price: ? $4 each for a 16 oz glass at the bar- about the norm.
Website:

http://www.abita.com/

Appearance- (Lighting was low so I could be lightly off but it looked dark brown; slightly cloudy. May have had a reddish tint to it but that could be the lighting as well.)

Smell: The smell to this was sweet. It had a definite berry odor and didn't smell at all like an ale to me.

Taste: The taste started out smoothly with a noticable black licorice tinge that quickly faded into a slightly hoppy aftertaste. Definitely not your average ale.
Overall, it was just a little too weird although Goose has had it in bottles and says it was better. I'm going to compare/ contrast when I can. Leigh said that the taste was fruity with a slight hint of "cherry toe-jam" at the end.

Drinkability: I am intrigued enough to try it again for sure. I think if the different tastes weren't so prominent, I may be inclined to drink it a little more. Maybe the bottle takes the sting out of it.

Overall Score: 3.5 from the tap. Hopefully a little better out of the bottle. Goose gives it a- oops he didn't give me a final score. Goose, feel free to comment and I'll add it in.

If you are looking for something off the beaten path, this would be a good place to start. Both of the wives enjoyed theirs and neither complained of it being too dark or beery so give it a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment