Playlist

http://pl.st/p/23696140811

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Goose's Birthday Present

Goose got me 2 very nice bottles of beer for my birthday this year. Here are the details, a nice picture, and the complete ratings. Thanks again Goose.



BEER #1

Brewer: Unibroue, Quebec, Canada
Beer Name: Chambley Noire Ale:
Beer Style: Black Ale
Price: ?

Appearance: Well, I'll start with the obvious. This beer is dark; almost black. There is no way to see through the glass as the beer is so dark although it looks to be a fairly clear beer to look at. It looks very intimidating as your glass fills up.

Smell: There is definitely something citrusy although I'm getting a small coffee odor as well. Smells good.

Mouthfeel: Not too heavy, not too light. Feels like a good beer. I expected it to feel like liquid lead but it is smooth with a little zip to it.

Taste: I have had this beer before but I never remembered it being this good. Not at all what you expect. This beer has an almost light, fruity taste to it that is not indicative of the dark, black color. It is quite smooth with very little aftertaste at all. I thoroughly enjoyed this beer.

Overall Score: 4.5 with a chance to move higher when I get over the difference in appearance and taste. It doesn't go together but it's surprisingly good and smooth.

BEER #2:
Brewer: Bavik Brewery, Belgium
Beer: Petrus Winter Ale
Beer Style: Dark Ale
Price: ?

Appearance: Dark, full brown color with a very foamy head that didn't hold it's lacing in the glasses I had.

Smell: A nice wintry ale with hints of nutmeg, cinnamon, and coffee. Smells good.

Mouthfeel: A little lighter then I was thinking but still feels like beer. 6.2% alcohol so not too much but enough to let you know it's not Bud Select.

Taste: Ummmmmmmm, good. I like beer. Especially Christmas beer. This one is outstanding; an ale with plenty of holiday spices in there to liven it up but it's not too heavy. This is worth whatever Leigh paid for it. If you are looking to try a quality XMas ale, don't pass this one up.

Overall Score: 4.75. Solid from start to finish with no real faults at all. If I have it next year and it remains this good, we might be looking to bump it up into the 5.0 category.

Goose, outstanding choices that I thoroughly enjoyed. I can't wait to turn. No scotch for me though. It won't get drank.

No comments:

Post a Comment