Playlist

http://pl.st/p/23696140811

Friday, February 26, 2010

Friday Night Beer Fights Episode Three!!!!


It looks like we are going to have a double header tonight. First off, we will be trying two beers that I bought for the label only as they are both awesomely titled, appealing to my sense of studpidity more then my tastebuds. (Maybe- We'll have to see.) And later, I'm taking this show on the road to my brother in law's for a battle of Irish beers so keep checking back!!

But before we begin, I have to introduce my guest taster; Clark (John) Dooley. He is a financial wizard so if anyone needs financial advice, contact Waddell and Reed in Wentzville. John is the last true family man; thereby earning the nickname Clark from Vacation infamy. (Real tomato ketchup Eddie? Nothin' but the best for you Clark.)

But off to the fight!!!!!

In the Red corner, we have:

He'brew (The Chosen Beer) Pomegranate Ale

Brewer: Schmaltz Brewing Company Sarasota Springs, NY
Beer Name: Pomegranate Ale
Style: Ale
Price: 4.99 pint

Appearance: Light brownish-orange, almost looks like sun tea. Cloudy; can't see through the glass.

Smell: Clark says doesn't smell bad; got a weird smell. I say fruity, since I have no idea what a pomegranate smells like, I'm guessing smells like such. Michelle (Clark's wife- beer taster #3) adds "very smelly."

Taste: Clark says pomegranaty. Since I don't know what a pomegranate even is, I'll go with good. Smooth, good through the drink with a little bite (maybe said pomegranate) at the end. I was expecting it to be a horrible girl beverage (no offense ladies) but this is good. Seems like a summer taste but has 8% alcohol so I'm not sure a day in the sun with a cooler full of the He'brew would be a good idea. Clark agrees that it is light enough for springtime but heavy enough to carry you through a cold winter's night. Michelle says it has a kick or a punch to the toilet paper holder.

Mouthfeel: Pretty good, not too watery, feels like beer.

Drinkability: Clark says novelty only. I say I'm down with the He'Brew. Decent for a spring or summer evening and at 8%, you don't need more then two pints for the entire evening. (Unless you're Slim or Bill Crews.)

Overall Score: Clark says 3.5. I say a flat 4. Not perfect by any means but definitely worth a try and second try...

We are going to eat. The second beer comes after dinner...

And we're back!!!

The second beer:

Brewer: New Belgium
Beer Name: "Le Fluer, Misseur" Lips of Faith Ale (I have no idea what it means but it sounds cool)
Style: Ale
Price: 7.69 per pint

Appearance: Light beer in color; looks very light yellow. Semi-cloudy. Can see a muddled image through the glass.

Smell: I say it smells like baby-poop. Seriously. I asked my wife, a pediatric nurse, and she said roto-virus. I'm not making this up. Clark says "hmmmmm." Clark says light and something- just not sure what.

Taste: Miller light mixed with oranges and baby poop (or maybe I just can't get the smell out of my mind while I taste- not sure). It gets better if you drink with your nose pinched shut. Maybe this beer should come with a clothespin or noseplugs. Clark says, "I don't like the aftertaste. It tastes like something but I can't figure it out. The original taste is OK but the aftertaste ruins it."

Mouthfeel: very light; not much too it at all.

Drinkability: Unless you have a diaper fetish, I'm going never again unless I get to a bar with this or Keystone Ice as the only two choices. And the Keystone Light is boiling hot. Clark says he would not recommend it unless you like babypoop.

Score: Clark gives it a 2. I'm going 1.5 only because it has alcohol. And it beats Zima; barely. (Clark says pop a Jolly Rancher in your Zima- makes it a memorable event.)

And the moral of the story is: Go with the Jews!!!!! In the most lopsided fight yet, The Chosen Beer takes out the New Belgium diaper ale! Stay tuned for Irish beers later at Eric's!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment