Playlist

http://pl.st/p/23696140811

Monday, March 25, 2019

Another IPA+ Blog during spring break

So, I can't get enough of these New England IPA's.  Hazy, juicy, really easy on the bitterness, I am loving them.  So, I figured I would go ahead and blog a few as I drank them tonight.  Flying solo so no shenanigans here.  Just pure blogging honesty with me, myself, and I.

First Beer:

Brewer:  Central State
Beer Name:  Snake Skin Boots
Beer Style:  IPA
Beer Price:  ?  John gave me a can of this.


Aroma:  Bitter with just a hint of fruit.  Guava maybe?  Not sure.  Getting more aromatic as it warms up. 

Appearance:  This is quite a bit darker than the majority of the other hazy IPA's out there.  This one is a dark tan, almost a leather color.  The lacing and head is beautiful.  This can was very carbonated and it bubbled over when I opened it.

Mouthfeel:  Heavy for an IPA- not light or smooth.  A really full beer on the front and back of the drink.

Taste:  Pretty good actually.  This is more IPAish then a lot of the other fruity, hazy beers out there.  So, while I'm not a fan of the more traditional IPA's, I can definitely appreciate the balance this brings.  The Simcoe hops are fruity yet retain a hint of bitterness.  This is a really good middle ground between NE IPA's and the West Coast IPA's.

Overall rating:  I'm going 4.0.  It won't be something I'll rebuy but it is very well made.

BEER #2

Brewer:  Narror Gauge
Beer Name:  DDH Fallen Flag
Beer Style:  American IPA
Beer Price:  $16 for a 4 pack of 16 oz cans at Narrow Gauge






Aroma:  Not much here. Slight fruity tinge.  A hint of hops but not nearly as much as the last one.

Appearance:  Way lighter in color as well.  This is more of a yellow than a tan.  The color of watered down orange juice.

Mouthfeel:  Much lighter then the Central State. At 7%, there is a little booze on the tongue as well.  Not overly.  Just a little burn after an almost orange juicish tartness.

Taste:  Delicious.  If you like orange juice and the dank, bitterness of hops in a traditional IPA, then you will love this beer.  One of the fruitier ones I've had.  This may be my new favorite from Narrow Gauge.  It's almost like a screwdriver in taste.

Overall Rating:  I put 4.25 on untappd but I'm raising it to a 4.75.  Not sure what could make it better.  It may be raised to a 5.

Beer #3
Brewer:  Firestone Walker
Beer Name:  Mind Haze IPA
Beer Style:  IPA
Price:  $3 for a can at Beer Sauce




Aroma:  Citrus.  Smells Delicious.  I'm digging this.

Appearance:  Very light and hazy.  Lighter then the Narrow Gauge.

Mouthfeel:  Very light and smooth.

Taste:  This is one of the better non-Narrow Gauge IPA's I've had.  There is no bitterness to it at all.  It is sweet all the way through.  I'm not sure it counts as an IPA or what the definition of an IPA is anymore but I do know that I like these a whole lot.  I told John I was in a beer rut earlier- IPA's and stouts.  I then said that I was happy as a cat in the rut I am in.

Overall Rating:  John and I both went 4.0 on this one.  At 6.2, it's slightly weaker then the others I drink on the regular but it's well worth a try; especially if you don't like bitter.

Beer #4

Brewer:  Stillwater
Beer Name:  Action Bronson's 7000  (??????)
Beer Style:  Dry Hopped Sour Ale
Price:  $3 a 16 oz can at Beer Sauce



Aroma:  Tart Fruit for sure.  Maybe a lemon?  Lime?  Can't tell but it's definitely of the citrus family.  It smells like spring cleaning should.  If they put this stuff in a glade diffuser, I'd buy a case.

Appearance:  Very light yellow but very cloudy.  Not as clear as a sour usually is but I think that may be the citrus.

Mouthfeel:  Smooth, silky smooth.  Like Billy Dee Williams on the Millenium Falcon smooth.

Taste:  Damn, this is fantastic.  It's one of the better sours I have ever had.  It is very citrusy up front; mellow through the back of the tongue but the tart sneaks up on you at the end and provides a perfectly balanced finish.  I love the Stillwater Micro Pale Ale but this may be as good.  It is definitely going to be drank by the pool this summer.

Overall Rating:  John says a 4.0.  I'm saying 4.5 with the chance to rise.  This is a fantastic beer.

Beer #5
Brewer:  Goose Island
Beer Name:  Next Coast IPA
Beer Style:  IPA
Price:  $2 a 12 oz bottle at Beer Sauce



Aroma:  More of an orange bubble gum smell.  Citrusy but off in some way.  Not as clean or fresh as the others.  John says it's more piney.  Maybe that's what it is.  I can't tell.

Appearance:  Very light and clear.  Almost a pear juice/ apple juice look to it.  Maybe a HI-C apple juice box look?   No head or lacing at all; not a trace.

Mouthfeel:  Very light, almost syrupy like cough syrup that has been watered down.  It's not a bad thing; just super light.

Taste:  Not bad- just not really good.  It's a good beer if you are at Quicktrip at 2:30 am and you don't want Bud Select.

Overall Rating:  John says 3.25.  I'm going 3.0.  Definitely the weakest of the bunch but still drinkable.

Beer #5

Brewer:  Avery Brewing
Beer Name:  Vanilla Bean Stout
Beer Style:  Barrell Aged Stout
Price:  $10ish a bottle



Aroma:  Bourbon, vanilla, stout.  BOURBON.  The smell is strong.

Appearance:  Dark, too dark to be clear.  Looks like motor oil with a hint of black food coloring.

Mouthfeel:  Very smooth.  Not a lot here except smooth and silky.  It's very light.

Taste:  Vanilla, bourbon, stout.  The taste is better than the smell.   It tastes very smooth for a bourbon stout.  The vanilla really smooths it out. 

Overall Rating:  I'm saying 4.0.  Not as good as Madagascar but pretty good.  John says a 4.0 as well.  We each like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment